The road to recovery is not always easy, but we are here to help you every step of the way at Montereau. In honor of October being National Physical Therapy Month, we’re celebrating our professionals who support residents and members of the Tulsa community alike with physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy and other short-term rehabilitation needs.
As we age, our bodies undergo a number of physical changes. Muscles lose strength and size while joints become stiffer which leads to a loss of balance, mobility and flexibility. As a result, the likeliness of injury or experiencing conditions such as osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, and rheumatoid arthritis increases. These can all make recovery from an injury longer and more painful.
It is well understood in the senior living industry that a healthy diet and regular exercise can help prevent these age-related changes to muscles, bones and joints. In fact, that’s why Montereau offers a variety of wellness activities on campus as well as a full calendar of activities and events to stay active.
Residents love swimming in our pool, regular yoga and strength-training classes, or walking around our beautiful grounds to stay active with their friends. After some healthy activity, a fresh meal in one of our restaurants offers just the thing to round out a day dedicated to wellness!
But, no matter how much preventative care we take, we all face obstacles with our health, from a twisted ankle that needs a little TLC to surgeries that may require several weeks of recovery. Montereau’s short-term rehabilitation program—open to anyone in theTulsa area—is here to support older adults on the road to recovery.
Get Back to the Best Version of You
According to the AmericanPhysical Therapy Association (APTA), physical therapists are “movement experts who improve quality of life through prescribed exercise, hands-on care, and patient education.”
At times we may have a tendency to dismiss injury or resort to recovery at home. While this may be fine for minor injuries, if you experience a lot of pain, don’t see improve mentor have doubts, then you should always consult a health care professional. Your primary care physician may refer you to a physical therapist who will thoroughly examine you and develop a plan for treatment and recovery.
Sample physical therapy—orPT—activities may include range-of-motion movements, stretching exercises, or strength training to rebuild muscle. For example, after a knee replacement surgery, it’s important to get moving fast to keep the muscles, tendons, ligaments and other tissues warm and lubricated. This can help prevent the buildup of scar tissue, which can be a major hindrance in recovery.
You may be eager to return to your regular schedule and enjoy all the things you love but don’t rush the process. Though usually short-term, the benefits of physical therapy cannot be understated. It’s the ideal way to restore your function so you can safely get back to the best version of yourself.
Enjoy the Benefits of Physical Therapy
Among the many benefits of physical therapy are:
● Improved balance and fall prevention: Exercises are done to improve coordination. For those who suffer from vertigo or dizziness, therapists help to restore proper vestibular functioning to aid with balance. They also introduce and manage the use of assistive devices if necessary.
● Improved mobility: Regular strengthening and stretching exercises are done to help with standing, walking and moving. This is especially helpful when recovering from a stroke.
● Reduced or managed pain: Therapeutic exercises and treatments help to relieve pain from injuries and also improve the function of muscles and joints to avoid or lessen pain in the future.
● Surgery prevention: If left untreated, injuries may worsen and lead to surgery or disability. This can be prevented with adequate treatment which ensures healing. In cases where surgery is still needed, receiving physical therapy before leads to faster post-surgery recovery.
● Managing age-related issues: While it may not be possible to fully eliminate the symptoms of age related conditions such as arthritis and osteoporosis, therapy will be given to help better manage them.
Join Montereau for Your Road to Recovery
After years of experience, we understand the importance of physical therapy for seniors and are happy to offer this and other services at The Chateau right here on campus. We provide short-term rehabilitation to support you on the path to recovery. Whether you are recovering from an illness, injury or hospital stay, you’ll have access to the expertise and cutting-edge techniques to regain your independence.
In addition to our amenity-rich campus and beautiful grounds, your recovery will include support from licensed physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy rehabilitation specialists. If you are unfamiliar with these terms, here is what each field helps you with:
● Physical therapy: Exercises to improve gait, pain management, balance and coordination, all assist in the recovery from trauma, stroke and other debilitating conditions.
● Occupational therapy: Personalized regimens for conditions such as arthritis, stroke, trauma and dementia, designed to help residents regain the ability to resume normal daily activities.
● Speech therapy: Specialized help for those having difficulty thinking, listening, speaking or swallowing that may be a result of stroke, head injury, ALS, multiple sclerosis or dementia.
Depending on your condition or level of injury, rehabilitation for seniors can be arduous. Our services and amenities will ensure the highest level of comfort for the duration of your stay. These include:
● Personalized private rooms with private baths, flat screen television and telephone
● Dining service with nutritious, well-balanced meals and a variety of options
● Licensed nurses and certified nursing assistants available 24/7
● Private garden courtyard terrace
● Inviting sunroom
● Specialized activity programs designed for resident and family participation
● Therapeutic spa to aid in recovery
● Outdoor trails to enjoy nature and take a relaxing stroll
● Full-service salon and day spa to cater to all your self-care needs
Prevent Hospital Readmissions
If you might be joining us from a hospital stay, you should know that one of the major benefits of our short-term recovery program is that it can help reduce the chance of a read mission to the hospital.
We are fortunate to have such a strong regional medical community, but hospital readmissions are a national challenge. All too often discharged patients are unable to care for wounds or get the right therapy at home and find themselves back in the hospital.
By joining us at Montereau, you have access to professional nurses and around-the-clock care in our rehabilitation program, offering you the support to stay on top of wound care, medications, or other post-discharge duties.
Experience the Chateau for Yourself
The Chateau at Montereau is a true partner in your recovery. You’ll be happy to know that our short-term rehabilitation services are open to all Montereau residents as well as everyone in the Tulsa community. Our life-enriching program is available on a direct admission basis.
Click here for a virtual tour of The Chateau and get glimpses of the beautiful courtyard, dining room, puzzle room, physical therapy center and more. We hope the virtual tour is helpful, but there’s nothing like seeing our facilities for yourself. We would be delighted to host you (and your loved ones) for an in-person tour so you can experience the warm and healing environment that is Montereau.
Contact us today to schedule a consultation or tour!
Thursday, October 27, 2022
Is there a topic you’re interested in learning more about? Send us a message. We’d love to hear your suggestions.