Montereau is proud to be recognized by the American Heart Association as a Gold Level Fit Friendly Worksite!
This certification was one of the first goals of Montereau’s Employee Wellness Team shortly after it was formed in March of 2015. The application was due in April, so the committee had to act fast. Members looked at programs that were already in place, then added new classes to benefit Montereau’s employees and satisfy the criteria for the American Heart Association.
The application to become a Fit Friendly Worksite includes four different areas of wellness: Tobacco Policy, Physical Activity, Nutrition, and Healthier Offerings & Culture. Each area outlines a minimum number of criteria that organizations much implement in order to qualify for recognition. For instance, under Physical Activity, an organization must meet at least six of the 11 criteria to satisfy that area. We met eight of these criteria including having walking paths on campus for employee use, free onsite fitness facilities and reimbursing employees who participated in the Full Moon Run.
Highlights of the Montereau employee wellness program that earned us Fit Friendly recognition include:
- Formation of an Employee Wellness Team comprised of employees from across campus
- Tobacco Free Campus
- Walking groups
- Training groups for Full Moon Run
- Core classes
- Meditation classes
- 30 For 30 exercise challenge in January that encouraged employees to exercise 30 minutes every day for 30 days
- Employee access to on-site fitness center & pool
- Discounts for employees and families at St. Francis Health Zone
- Walking trails with map
- Monthly Sneaker Days during which employees wear sneakers & are encouraged to participate in physical fitness at some point during the day
- Employee Health & Fitness Day held in May
- Walk to End Alzheimer’s team
- Healthy food options in the employee dining room
- 12 of 38 vending machine options are Choice Plus healthier items
- Personal Health Assessment provided to eligible employees and covered dependents
- Heart Health Fair held in February
- CPR training offered several times per year through the American Heart Association
Montereau’s Wellness Coordinator and head of our Employee Wellness Team, Vana Moore, attributes this achievement to the hard work of the team and Montereau’s commitment to its employees. She says that “Montereau is a great place to work and really cares about its employees.”
The Employee Wellness Team is working on more wellness initiatives for the upcoming months including a hydration challenge and walking challenge. The committee plans to build on the programs we already have and apply for the Fit Friendly Workplace honor again next year.
<< Back to News Page